Becoming a Gestational Carrier in Las Vegas: A True Beginner’s Guide
You may have heard the terms “surrogate” and “gestational carrier” used interchangeably in regards to gestational surrogacy. However, it’s important to note that these terms do not mean the same thing. In fact, they refer to two different types of surrogacy. If you are interested in becoming a gestational carrier in Las Vegas, it’s essential that you understand the variation between the two terms so that you know exactly what you are agreeing to.
Put simply, a “surrogate” is a woman who combines her eggs with an intended father’s sperm, carries the baby full term and shares a biological link to the child. A gestational carrier, on the other hand, has no biological connection to the baby. She is implanted with the eggs and sperm of the intended parents through in vitro-fertilization (IVF).
Each and every woman who wants to become a gestational carrier has their own reasons and motivations for doing so. Yet, the common denominator is that they all want to help intended parents who aren’t able to grow a family themselves. If this sounds like you, know that you will be providing a service to a family who will be forever grateful. You have no idea the magic and life you can bring to intended parents by accepting this seemingly daunting task of carrying their child for them. But, they truly will appreciate and be always in your debt.
Adoption Choices of Las Vegasis here to provide the requirements and qualifications you need to know in order to become a gestational carrier in Las Vegas.
Requirements for a Gestational Carrier in Las Vegas
As Las Vegas is part of the beautiful state of Nevada, we will be providing you with the overall state requirements. There are some details that you should know. However, always be sure to double check with your doctor or fertility specialist if there are any additional requirements in the area where you live.
If you’re thinking of becoming a gestational carrier in Las Vegas, you are required to:
- Have no known history with infertility, STIs or other serious health conditions
- Be free of complications regarding birth or pregnancy
- Have or maintain a BMI or no greater than 32
- Pass a criminal background check and psychological evaluation
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Be financially stable
- Have health insurance that covers maternity and childbirth and life insurance should life-threatening complications occur (i.e. state or federal insurance like Medicare is strictly prohibited)
- Be between the ages of 21 and 39
- Have no history of smoking, drug or alcohol abuse
- Live in a surrogacy-friendly state or country
Qualifications of a Gestational Carrier in Las Vegas
Along with the requirements, the state of Nevada has specific qualifications for becoming a gestational carrier. These can, of course, vary depending on where you live and which fertility clinic you attend, so always be sure to double check with your doctor and clinic for any of these. Here are the common ones that our agency in Las Vegas wants you to know about and understand as you start your journey as a gestational carrier.
To qualify as a gestational carrier, you must:
- Already have children or already be raising them
- Have no new tattoos, piercings or blood transfusions within the past twelve months
- Be finished building your own family
- Have a flexible schedule, and be able to get to and from doctor’s appointments without issue (i.e. have a reliable plan for daycare)
- Understand that bed rest may be involved, and have a plan for reliable childcare, especially with insemination or embryo transfer
- Be willing to establish and maintain open communication between herself, the intended parents and mediator (if applicable)
- Have the full support of their partner, spouse, friends and family
- Know that pregnancy is not guaranteed and to abstain from sexual intercourse with her partner until pregnancy is either established or not
- Be completely willing to follow through on the entirety of the treatments
Becoming a Gestational Carrier in Las Vegas
Other things that all our gestational carriers must undergo are physical and psych exams. This ensures that you are a healthy woman who truly understands what she is committing to. We don’t want anyone to feel pressured into making this decision or not know everything that becoming a gestational carrier entails.
Know that when it comes to gestational surrogacy, Adoption Choices of Las Vegasadheres closely with Nevada law. As there are currently no statutes prohibiting gestational surrogacy, we are a surrogacy-friendly city and place to live! If you have any questions or concerns regarding your specific circumstances, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our specialists. We look forward to hearing from you!
Meet the Author: Zachery Ellis an actor, writer, and a dedicated tour guide at Marvel’s Avengers Station. As someone who finds helping others to be as important as eating three meals a day, Zach will be writing a blog that educates the undereducated on gestational surrogacy.
We’ll be navigating all this new information together, helping one another figure out the best options for surrogacy and adoption as well as coming up with ideas about how we can open up the conversation to surrogacy and adoption as valid options for creating happy families. Zach has a BFA in Theatre Arts and a minor in English, so this world will be new to him as well. Rest assured, he is ready to explore it with you, and help you understand it.