BM Blog

By Adoption Choices of Nevada

Choosing Adoption in Nevada Without the Birth Father

By Kaitlyn Chrisemer

When faced with an unexpected and unplanned pregnancy, the child’s father might not always be in the picture. As a pregnant woman, you may be wondering what options are available to you if this is the case. To determine that adoption is the best option, you will want more information about putting a baby up for adoption

After finding out you’re pregnant unexpectedly, your head is likely spinning with thoughts and worries. There are many different options for you, and we’re here to help in the decision process if you’re considering adoption. Although we hope your adoption process goes smoothly, there are some things that may complicate it. Consultation with an adoption specialist or adoption attorney is always when choosing adoption. With sites available across Nevada, our adoption agencies are here to help.

What Is a Birth Father?

A birth father is a man that is biologically related to the child. In Nevada, a man can be presumed to be the birth father of your child if he:

  • Is married to the birth mother
  • Is living with the birth mother and has been for over six months
  • Has attempted to marry the birth mother before the pregnancy or is engaged to her
  • Is determined to be the birth father through a genetic paternity test

Birth fathers do have paternal rights to children in Nevada. Birth fathers must relinquish their rights for adoption to take place. As the child’s birth father, he also has the right to object to the adoption. He has to prove his intentions to raise the child to do this. This proof would include both intended support (emotional and financial) and custody of the child. If they cannot proivde proof, he may be labeled as an unfit parent. In this case, his rights to the child are legally denied, and his consent will not be nessecary. The birth father will be denied custody if the court believes it is in the child’s best interest. 

Choosing Adoption if the Birth Father is Unsupportive

If you and the birth father disagree about placing your child for adoption, there are ways to terminate his rights. If the father is:

  • Abusive
  • A felon
  • Struggling with severe addiction
  • Deemed to be mentally or emotionally ill 

He may be seen as unfit parent due to these factors, he may loose his parental rights. Once his rights to the child are terminated, his consent is no longer required to move forward with the adoption process

If the birth father’s rights are not terminated, but he is still unsupportive, Adoption Choices of Nevada can help. We will work to connect you with an adoption attorney who will have your best interests in mind. They will fight for what is best for you and your child. In addition, our adoption agencies will be able to provide you with the information you need in this process. 

What if the Father is Unknown?

There may be cases where the birth father’s identity is unknown, and no man steps forward. It is possible to move forward independently as a single birth mother in these situations. When there is no confirmed birth father, you may be able to place your child for adoption alone. 

Choosing Adoption with Adoption Choices of Nevada

If you are looking to move forward with the adoption process, Adoption Choices of Nevada is here for you. This process may be more complicated for you emotionally without the father, but we can help. We can offer to counsel for emotional support and information and legal guidance. We will work with you to make your adoption process as comfortable as possible. After reaching out to us, we can start working on your adoption plan and give you the information you need. Adoption Choices of Nevada has worked with birth mothers in situations, including those coming in alone. With our help, you won’t be going through this process alone because we will be there for you. We are here to help you in any way we can, every step of the way. 

If you consider placing your child for adoption in Nevada, please reach out to us. Adoption Choices of Nevada has been providing adoption and surrogacy services across Nevada since 2012. You can call us to speak to someone now. Contact Us 24/7: 855-940-4673 (Toll-Free) | 702-474-4673 (Las Vegas) | 775-825-4673 (Reno) | 775-884-4673 (Carson City).