Pros and Cons of Last-Minute Adoptions & How They Work
Facing an unexpected pregnancy might make you feel like your life plans have been derailed. Perhaps it is too late to terminate the pregnancy, and you are thinking, “I don’t want to parent; I want to put my baby up for adoption.” Luckily, you can still choose adoption, even if it feels last-minute.
Adoption is an option for you to make the most out of an unplanned pregnancy. A private adoption agency can ensure your child is placed in a safe and loving home and help you deal with any negative feelings.
Your local agency, Adoption Choices of Nevada, is here for you. For years, we have been facilitating newborn adoptions in Reno, Las Vegas, and beyond. Read on to learn more about how you can choose adoption with us even at the last minute.
What is a Last-Minute Adoption?
Last-minute adoptions may be called hospital adoptions. Know that it is possible for you to choose adoption at any point, even if you are in the hospital, in labor, or have just given birth. It is never too late to give up a baby for adoption.
Pros of Last-Minute Adoption
- Choose a home for your baby. Working with a private, licensed adoption center avoids the intervention of state agencies like CPS. With us, you can select an adoptive family and even meet with them before the adoption is finalized.
- Find flexibility. Adoption Choices of Nevada puts you in control of your adoption plan. We are here to support you and respond to your needs, no matter your situation.
- Focus on your life plans. Choosing adoption gives you the freedom to pursue goals like school and a career without the stress of parenting.
- Take advantage of adoption resources. Our Nevada adoption agency is licensed to provide financial help, legal representation, and counseling. Remember, adoption is always free for the birth mother.
Cons of Last-Minute Adoption
- Less time for planning. Last-minute adoption does not mean you have not made an adoption plan or you have not thought through your options. Still, a hospital stay is stressful, and you may not feel completely prepared.
- Less opportunity for connection with the adoptive family. If you choose open or semi-open adoption, you are able to meet the family before finalization.
- Negative emotions. Giving a baby up for adoption is a rewarding process, but you may feel sadness and shame, especially if the adoption is last-minute. Fortunately, our agency offers counseling and support groups for birth mothers.
Last-Minute Adoption Can Work For You
If you are thinking of giving up a child for adoption, know that it is possible and that you are not giving up. “Giving up a baby” is outdated adoption language. You are making a brave and selfless choice to place your child in a new home.
Make the step today with Adoption Choices of Nevada! Your local, private Reno adoption agency has compassionate staff to help with all aspects of adoption. We are non-profit, not affiliated with any religion, and we will never pressure you into a decision. We can meet with you virtually or in person wherever you are located.
Choosing Adoption at the Last Minute
To begin the adoption process, contact us to meet with an adoption specialist and discuss your options. You will be encouraged to create an adoption plan outlining your needs and wants. You can also discuss your medical needs and what kind of financial assistance you require.
Next, your adoption plan may include choosing an adoptive family. Adoption Choices of Nevada has waiting families who are pre-screened and background checked. We value diversity and are LGBTQIA+ friendly.
Additionally, you have the right to choose an open, semi-open, or closed adoption. Open or semi-open adoption is recommended to build a relationship with the family, especially if it is last minute. You will be able to meet the adoptive family either in person or through phone calls or video. However, you can also choose a closed adoption. This is an option if you would like a confidential adoption where your identity is not shared with the adoptive family.
Contact us today to learn more about the birth mother services we offer!
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and are worried about your options, we can help. Adoption Choices of Nevada has been providing adoption and surrogacy services across Nevada since 2012. You can call us to speak to someone now. Contact Us 24/7: 855-940-4673 (Toll-Free) | 702-474-4673 (Las Vegas) | 775-825-4673 (Reno)